What is directory privacy?
All cPanel customers have access to the directory privacy feature. This allows you password protect directories when accessed via a URL. You might have a few reasons for wanting to do this, if you’re running a WordPress you could use this feature to lock access to your wp-admin page or any page on your site. This provides another layer of authentication and gives you a little more peace of mind.
How to set it up.
- Login to your cPanel account.
- Under the “File” section, Click “directory privacy”.
- To navigate through directories (folders) click on them.
- To navigate back use the “Home” icon or “Up One Level”
- Click “Edit” to select that directory.
- Click the checkbox “Password protect this directory”.
- Enter a name for the protected directory.
- Click “Save”.
- Click “Go Back”.
- Create a user with access to the secure directory.
- Enter a username.
- Enter or Use the generator to make a password.
- Click “Save”
- A lock will appear on the folder, and next to “Yes” in the private column.